Monday 17 August 2020

Frozen Air

In a dinghy under the sheer cliffs of a glacier we searched for survivors.  We all pointed at the holes, planned searches of the ice caves.  Never did we think that it was in the air itself.

My crew all went in the same way, one by one.  First their eyes would freeze, their stares fixed into the distance as their screams began.  Then their noses would fill with ice, their lips would harden, crack and then break before the frost worked along their tongue, changing their screams into something more horrible as its edge deadened and it went flat.  Finally their throats were closed and the screaming ended alongside their life.  Before their bodies rested lifeless, all this ice thawed and evaporated as if never there.

Once only I remained, my ear turned cold and I heard them. 

A cold, hard whisper chilled me to my core and told me to leave.  “We are here now.  Never return.”  


Written for Flash! Friday from the following picture prompt (we were also asked to add a Fire Element  (include something in the air) or Ice Element (include something in the water)) and had a word count limit of 150-160 Words:

800px-Hope_Bay-2016-Trinity_Peninsula–Arena_Glacier_03

Arena Glacier” Antarctic Peninsula. CC3.0 photo by Godot13

No comments:

Post a Comment